AOTRAUMA.ORG Центр Илизарова  

Ортопедия и травматология Общие вопросы/General questions Help Информационные технологии в медицине
 вверх
 отправить
 поиск
 админ
 главная
 Предыдущее
 Весь тред

Re: Acetabular Fx Surgical Approach
Chip Routt 16 Июль 2006, 00:18
Your lateral intraop image actually made me nauseated... truly a visceral response when I saw it... it's an image which brings back the horrid memories of my past... struggling to achieve my daily malreduction... flipping and flopping the poor patient... reprepping... wasting time... praying... trying to get a C-arm in place... gag... until some kind soul taught me a prone KL.... ahhh, what a great day that was.

I've heard all the anesthesia issues over the years... believe me.

Prone seems to work very well for the spine team...prone is also now used by ICU teams for improved pulmonary work, and once you learn it, you'll never go back lateral.

Remember to put your toe in the water with someone who knows how to swim.

Chip
  • Сообщения о Ортопедия и травматология
  • Также Chip Routt
  • Связаться с автором
  • Ответить

Zholt Balogh 16 Июль 2006, 00:22
    K-L approach was described for prone position. the lateral positioning is coming from elective orthppaedics (hip arthroplasty). Lateral position works against your reduction especially in the transverse fracture cases like this was. You can manage isolated posterior wall fractures from lateral positioning.... but you do not need to struggle with it.

Zsolt Balogh
    [ Ответить ]

Dan Schlatterer 16 Июль 2006, 00:39
    thank you for your thoughts. it is interesting how you knew that I am afraid of the water. one
    of these days I will learn to swim:)
    [ Ответить ]

Peter Krause 16 Июль 2006, 00:43
    I agree with Chip. I trained with the lateral position, but have converted to prone for most of these cases. I think the prone postion is extremely helpful not just for transverse posterior walls, but also for the very unstable
    extensive posterior walls. In these cases you really need gravity on your side.
    The exception for me is the extremely rare combined (operative) femoral head + posterior wall where I have done the surgical dislocation. I have not had a Judet table available to me so I I use manual traction.

Peter Krause, MD
    Assistant Professor
    LSU Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
    New Orleans, LA
    [ Ответить ]

• Re: Acetabular Fx Surgical Approach
      Отправитель: Jeff Brooks 16 Июль 2006, 00:56
      Are those who do these Fxs prone using a radiolucent flat board, Jackson Spine, standard table, Fx table?

I do most all pelvic cases on the OSI modular table with the flat board which is entirely radiolucent and very easy to work with. My hospital does not have the fancy Fx table attachment for this, however, as our Fx table is separate.

Jeff

[ Ответить ]
    Bruce Ziran 16 Июль 2006, 01:02
    It seems that there are a lot of strong opinions on this matter. Just to stir it up a bit more, I will propose that using a Jackson table, lateral position, with traction, and using the peroneal post with the vertical height adjustment gets the best of both worlds. The vertical post overcomes gravity quite easily and facilitates surgical luxation of the head when longitudinal traction is added. The set up is easy, all of the vectors of forces that those who propose prone positioning can be accounted for, and if a troch osteotomy is needed (for whatever reason), it allows access to more anterior structures. I am definitely not a fan of floppy lateral with manual traction. I agree with Chip, this is absolute torture, but I have used all of the described methods and settled on what seemed easiest. Over come the vectors of deformity, eliminate human fatigue (manual traction), and its not so bad. If a T or bad transverse is tough, it is probably not going to be solved, or caused by the position, but probably justifies a sequential procedure with a second postioning and anterior approach. Acetabular and pelvic surgery seemed to bring out the dogma in us all..

Bruce H. Ziran, M.D.
    Director of Orthopaedic Trauma
    St. Elizabeth Health Center
    Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
    Northeast Ohio Universities College of Medicine
    [ Ответить ]

Отправитель: Chip Routt 16 Июль 2006, 09:38
      > It seems that there are a lot of strong opinions on this matter. Just to stir
      > it up a bit more, I will propose that using a Jackson table, lateral position,
      > with traction, and using the peroneal post with the vertical height adjustment

Simple as this, 99.99% of surgeons can't safely work and clamp through the notch with the patient positioned laterally...it's just not anatomically possible... and it's all about the reduction... we know that.

Imaging is so easy with a prone patient on a radiolucent table, and it's so troublesome with a laterally positioned patient on a fracture table...we know this too.

Fracture tables with perineal posts and sustained traction (to maintain an approximate and "soft tissue tensioned" based reduction) cause complications that we're all very familiar with... if you are too young, ask those who remember the history and evolution of femoral nailing...it's written.

This is not dogma, it's just reality...it is what it is...you know what you know, but you don't know what you don't know.

These details only matter to the patients and those that you try to teach.

That's enough from me-

Chip

[ Ответить ]
        Отправитель: Flavio Restrepo 16 Июль 2006, 15:16
        I'm with Dr. Chip
        The classical papers are:
        JBJS 1964; 46A: 1615-46 Judet R, Judet J, Letournel E. Fractures of the acetabulum: classification and surgical approaches for open reduction.Clin Ortthop 1980; 151: 81-106.

Letournel E: Acetabular fractures: Classification and manegament. Springer Verlag 1993. Letournel E, Judet R: Fractures of acetabulum. ed 2, Berlin, Germany

Flavio

[ Ответить ]

( Ответить )