AOTRAUMA.ORG Центр Илизарова  

Ортопедия и травматология Общие вопросы/General questions Help Информационные технологии в медицине
 вверх
 отправить
 поиск
 админ
 главная
 Предыдущее
 Весь тред

Re: Ilizarov vs Orthofix
Tommy Bacal 25 Апрель 2006, 00:12
I must confess ignorance. I will look it up

Bacal tommy

israel
  • Сообщения о Ортопедия и травматология
  • Также Tommy Bacal
  • Связаться с автором
  • Ответить

Tommy Bacal 25 Апрель 2006, 00:16
    Seen picture of taylor spatial frame. Sorry, no experience with this device, but looks interesting.

As I said before, choice of treatment should express the care giver's knowhow.

No human experiences without consent (lol)

Bacal tommy

israel

[ Ответить ]

• Re: Ilizarov vs Orthofix
      Отправитель: Nicola Papapietro 25 Апрель 2006, 00:21
      I have just met (and had a very good dining with him and his girlfriend) Dror Paley from Baltimor at the last International Congress of the Mediterranean Orthopedic Surgeon (Ortho Mare Nostrum) at Tanger, Morocco. He showed us those incredible results obtained with the Taylor Spatial Frame in some really incredible cases of
      deformities of legs, femoral agenesia and limb lengthening. I have been really impressed. But I think that the Taylor is an "occuping space" and uncomfortable device, justified only in case of major deformities correction.
      The cost of Taylor spatial frame I suppose is equivalent to orthofix. I know now, from your answer, that Ilizarov is really cheap compared to orthofix or taylor.

Nick

[ Ответить ]
      • Re: Ilizarov vs Orthofix
        Отправитель: Alexander Chelnokov 25 Апрель 2006, 01:08
        > incredible results obtained with the Taylor Spatial Frame in some
        > really incredible cases of deformities of legs, femoral agenesia and
        > limb lengthening. I have been really impressed.

The deformities have been corrected successfully with the Ilizarov technique for about 50 years. Really ANY results achieved with TSF are reachable with the Ilizarov, and often with less cumbersome frame - but not vice versa. BTW a similar hexapod was developed for the Ilizarov set. You can find in outstanding D. Paley's book "Principles of deformity correction" many examples of using Ilizarov, TSF and other devices for same problems.

> But I think that the Taylor is an "occuping space" and uncomfortable
        > device, justified only in case of major deformities correction.

Despite it is really huge it is so attractive (especially for people without experience with Ilizarov) because it presents no brainer technique - just apply a frame, input distances to the software and have a "cheque" with tempo for every nut at the distraction rods.
        While with classic Ilizarov one must realize oneself what he plans to do, where is axis of rotation, where and how place hinges, spend time to frame reassemblies if all components of the deformity were not addressed simultaneously.
        Of course TSF is a real step to the future. Some day a computer will not only calculate correction, but recognize deformity, apply a frame and then control transformation. Surgeons will only worry about how to spend all the money :-)

> The cost of Taylor spatial frame I suppose is equivalent to
        > orthofix. I know now, from your answer, that Ilizarov is really
        > cheap compared to orthofix or taylor.

I am not sure - maybe in the price list of Smith & Nephew it is close to others. In our setting it is rather cheap. Simple materials, simple parts.

[ Ответить ]
    Myles Clough 26 Апрель 2006, 00:43
    I've never used it but have seen the results and I think the concept is most intriguing. The disadvantage is the expense but US hospitals throw away these devices after use on one patient, so there must be a mechanism for distributing them to where they are needed.
    You apply the frame then take an Xray, measure the remaining deformities, angulation, translation, rotation and shortening etc. Then feed these parameters into a computer program (on line) and it returns the adjustments that must be made to each of the 6 expansion devices. I hope Smith and Nephew will forgive my copying the image from their page

This is copied from http://ortho.smith-nephew.com/ca_en/Standard.asp?NodeId=2945 which has surprisingly little further information
    The literature on this device is quite extensive now. A PubMed search for "Taylor spatial frame" yields 15 articles 12 of which are on subject. The full URL is

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=PureSearch&db=pubmed&details_term=taylor%5BAll%20Fields%5D%20AND%20spatial%5BAll%20Fields%5D%20AND%20frame%5BAll%20Fields%5D

Myles Clough mylesclough@shaw.ca
    Orthopaedic Surgeon, Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Clinical Instructor, University of British Columbia
    Editor, OWL (Orthopaedic Web Links) http://www.orthopaedicweblinks.com
    Orthogate Workshop Pages http://www.orthogate.com/clough/index.htm
    [ Ответить ]

( Ответить )